[sane-devel] SANE2 commitment

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sun Dec 17 23:20:42 CET 2006

Hi,

On 2006-12-17 16:43, Gerhard Jaeger wrote:
> in general I'd say: yes you are right. But on the other hand I don't see
> any real progress since years regarding SANE2 - so the question is:
> Stay/stuck on SANE1 w/o any chance to enhance support for recent devices OR
> start with a standard that has not been finished yet...

There is no need to do it only one way. You could write a meta backend
(like dll) that connects to a sane2 frontend and translates sane2
api to sane1 and loads sane1 backends. So you'd only update the
maintained or new backends to sane2 and let the meta backend do the
reast for the old ones.

> What needs to be done to finish the standard? Is anybody able to point
> out the open issues?

http://www.sane-project.org/sane2/sane2-todo.html

And more generally:
http://www.sane-project.org/sane2/sane2-todo.html

There is already a branch in CVS for SANE2 (see above), it has only
the docs, no code yet.