[sane-devel] Epkowa failed to find all required interpreter API

Scott Barnham sgb at manx.net
Mon Dec 18 19:50:20 CET 2006

Hi.

I'm struggling to get an Epson Perfection 4180 Photo scanner to work
with the Epkowa back-end.  I'm running Ubuntu Dapper.

I get message: "Failed to find all required interpreter API".  I can't
find any reference to this, so I'm a bit stuck.  Any idea what it means?

scanimage finds the USB device and attaches.  libesint43.so is installed
and it appears the back-end is finding it (scanimage used to error
firmware file at /usr/share/iscan/esfw43.bin.  iscan fails to load,
complaining it can't find libesmod.so.1 (which is there
in /usr/local/lib), but I understand this isn't required by sane.

This is the relevant output from: SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=255 scanimage -L

[epkowa] attach_one_usb()
[epkowa] SANE EPKOWA Backend 1.16.0-3 - 2005-06-29
[epkowa] attach(, 3)
[epkowa] attach: opening
[epkowa] attach_one_usb(libusb:005:006)
[epkowa] SANE EPKOWA Backend 1.16.0-3 - 2005-06-29
[epkowa] attach(libusb:005:006, 3)
[epkowa] attach: opening libusb:005:006
[epkowa] Found valid EPSON scanner: 0x4b8/0x118 (vendorID/productID)
[epkowa] failed to find all required interpreter API
[epkowa] close_scanner(fd = 0)

Thanks for your help.

Scott