[sane-devel] Epkowa failed to find all required interpreter API

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Dec 19 01:52:07 CET 2006

Scott Barnham <sgb at manx.net> writes:

> Hi.
>
> I'm struggling to get an Epson Perfection 4180 Photo scanner to work
> with the Epkowa back-end.  I'm running Ubuntu Dapper.
>
> I get message: "Failed to find all required interpreter API".  I can't
> find any reference to this, so I'm a bit stuck.  Any idea what it means?

That there is something seriously wrong with the interpreter module
(libesint43.so) you installed or the backend you are using.

> scanimage finds the USB device and attaches.  libesint43.so is installed
> and it appears the back-end is finding it (scanimage used to error
> firmware file at /usr/share/iscan/esfw43.bin.  iscan fails to load,
> complaining it can't find libesmod.so.1 (which is there
> in /usr/local/lib), but I understand this isn't required by sane.

libesmod.so is only used by iscan.  If you use scanimage, xsane or any
other SANE backend, it is neither necessary nor used.

> This is the relevant output from: SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=255 scanimage -L
>
> [epkowa] attach_one_usb()
> [epkowa] SANE EPKOWA Backend 1.16.0-3 - 2005-06-29

Eh, this is way old ... and does not work with the current plugin
modules.

Do yourself a favour and get iscan-2.x, make sure you use the packages
for gcc-3.4 or later for both the iscan and plugin package and try
again.

Ideally, you'd be using (as per download page[1]):

  iscan-2.4.0-0.c2.i386.rpm
  iscan-plugin-gt-f600-1.0.0-1.c2.i386.rpm

and install both with:

  $ sudo alien --install --scripts RPM_FILE

after you removed all traces of iscan from your system.