[sane-devel] Re: Canon 4400F

Pierre Willenbrock pierre at pirsoft.dnsalias.org
Sun Dec 31 20:44:59 CET 2006

Jaagup Repän schrieb:
> Jaagup Repän wrote:
>> Hello.
>> I have Canon 4400F scanner. This is not supported, but it must to be
>> added to genesys backend. I am trying to add, but I need help. I
>> have to find SENSOR, DAC, GPO and motor type, shading and search lines,
>> start of scan area, white strip and black mark.
>>
> I forgot to say that I have USB sniffer log
> file(http://jrepan.pri.ee/usbsnoop.log.decode) and I found some
> information from
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2005-December/015750.html
>

> I got frontend:
>     {{0x02, 0x20, 0x30, 0xdc}
>    , {0x32, 0x00, 0x03}
>    , {0x10, 0x32, 0xc8}
>    , {0xda, 0x00, 0x00}
>    , {0xf0, 0x00, 0x00}
>
> Is this correct?
>

>From your log i get this:

 {{0x00, 0x23, 0x24, 0x2f}
, {0x00,0x00,0x00} //never set in log
, {0x60,0x60,0x60}
, {0xfa,0xfa,0xfa}
, {0x00,0x00,0x00} //never set in log

look for this sequence:
wrote 0x51 <frontend register address>
wrote 0x3b <high bit of data>
wrote 0x3a <low bits of data>

those are frontend register writes(at least in your log).

Regarding the Motor struct, this will probably work(without looking at
your log)

{
2400,
4800,
1,
{
  12000,
  12000,
  1,
  1.0
},
{
  12000,
  12000,
  1,
  1.0
}}

This should lead to very slow movements of the scanning head, but it
should move if the scanner is correctly initialized(the Canon LiDE
35/50/60 are a bit tricky, and the 500F seems to be similar).

As you can see, i use half of the real resolution here. The reason is,
the backend is not (yet) capable of using something other than 2400,
1200 or 600 as sensor resolution. In the meantime, we can make double
the scanner dimensions, to accommodate for the real 4800dpi.

The gl841 part of the backend also lacks support for non-LiDE color sources.

Hope that helps,
  Pierre