[sane-devel] Scanner (USB) not found after kernel upgrade

Bill Brelsford k2di2 at att.net
Tue Feb 7 18:43:03 UTC 2006

On Sun Feb 05 2006 at 02:01 PM -0800, Bill Brelsford wrote:
> This looks like the relevant part:
>
>  [sanei_usb] sanei_usb_find_devices: vendor=0x04b8, product=0x080d
>  [sanei_usb] sanei_usb_open: trying to open device `libusb:002:003'
>  USB error: could not set config 1: Device or resource busy
>  [sanei_usb] sanei_usb_open: libusb complained: could not set config 1: Device or resource busy
>  [sanei_usb] Maybe the kernel scanner driver claims the scanner's interface?
>
> Since the only change was a new kernel, here are the "USB" changes
> to the kernel configuration:
>
> 	> CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=y

Somehow I missed this difference in syslog between the old kernel
(works):

 Feb  6 20:11:36 k2di kernel: usb 2-2: usbfs: interface 2 claimed
 	while 'scanimage' sets config #1

and the new one (doesn't work):

 Feb  7 06:47:47 k2di kernel: usb 2-2: usbfs: interface 1 claimed
 	by usblp while 'scanimage' sets config #1

My old kernel was built before I bought the CX4600 and added usb
printer support, but I'm sure I later built one (since deleted)
that worked with both printer and scanner.  It apparently had
USB_PRINTER as a module, so I just rebuilt the new one that way,
got the same result (failure), did "rmmod usblp" and got "claimed
by usb-storage", did "rmmod usb-storage" and it works.

So now the question is how to get it working without removing all
the USB modules (as I think it once did).

--
Bill Brelsford
k2di2 at att.net