[sane-devel] Re: Brother MFC7420: minor problem

Charles Duffy cduffy at spamcop.net
Tue Feb 21 01:08:14 UTC 2006

Hellmut Weber wrote:
> Hi,
> calling xscanimage as regular user (not root), the program complains
> about denied access to the device.
>
> Can somebody tell me please, which entry in /dev I have to chmod to
> permit normal user access.

It's not quite that easy. This is a USB model, right? You're on a newish
kernel, right? It's whichever part of /proc/bus/usb corresponds with the
device right now which needs to have appropriate permissions -- but that
filesystem is created dynamically as devices are plugged in.

See http://www.sane-project.org/README.linux for more information.