[sane-devel] Re: Epson CX7800

Dan Christensen jdc at uwo.ca
Sun Jan 1 19:31:19 UTC 2006

I didn't get any replies to my message, so I'm posting more information:

The epson backend hasn't worked at all for me.  For details see the

The epkowa backend works intermittently.  First I'll quote what I said
before, and then add some additional info:

Dan Christensen <jdc at uwo.ca> writes:

> I also tried the epkowa backend, installed using the rpm
> iscan-1.17.0-1.c2.i386.rpm at
> http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/dl_spc.html:
>
> # scanimage -d epkowa:libusb:003:006 > /tmp/scan
>
> This has worked about 3 out of the 10 or 12 times I've tried it; most
> of the time it gives:
>
> # scanimage -d epkowa:libusb:003:006 > /tmp/scan
> scanimage: sane_start: Error during device I/O
> (Debug output at http://jdc.math.uwo.ca/tmp/epkowa.debug )

I've now also tried using xsane on a remote host via saned.  Acquiring
a preview always words fine.  But scanning is intermittent.  For
several days, this was working about 70 or 80% of the time.  Other
times I'd get an error message from xsane and would just hit the scan
button again.  Starting yesterday, though, I'm only succeeding
scanning with xsane about 10% of the time.  Previews still work fine,
and scanimage still works about 25 to 30% of the time.

Whenever I try (successful or not) I get messages like

Dec 31 19:23:52 localhost kernel: usb 3-6: usbfs: interface 1 claimed while 'scanimage' sets config #1
Dec 31 19:23:52 localhost kernel: usb 3-6: usbfs: interface 2 claimed while 'scanimage' sets config #1
Dec 31 19:27:43 localhost kernel: usb 3-6: usbfs: interface 1 claimed while 'saned' sets config #1
Dec 31 19:27:43 localhost kernel: usb 3-6: usbfs: interface 2 claimed while 'saned' sets config #1

in my logs.

Printing (using cups) and photocopying are working fine.  Stopping
cups doesn't help the scanning.

Debian Linux with kernel 2.6.12.2.

libsane      1.0.17-1 API library for scanners
sane         1.0.14-1 scanner graphical frontends
sane-utils   1.0.15-9 API library for scanners -- utilities
xsane        0.98b-1  GTK+-based X11 frontend for SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy)
xsane-common 0.98b-1  GTK+-based X11 frontend for SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy)
libusb-0.1-4 0.1.10a-22  userspace USB programming library

Any ideas what could be causing intermittent behaviour?  Suggestions
for things to try?  Could a newer kernel help?

Thanks for any help,

Dan