[sane-devel] sane networking support / Epson CX11NF

Alessandro Zummo azummo-lists at towertech.it
Tue Jan 3 13:11:39 UTC 2006

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 13:47:30 +0100
Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning at meier-geinitz.de> wrote:

> For general network stuff like opening/closing a connection, putting
> such code into sanei/sanei_tcp.c (or similar) may be useful,
> especially if platform-dependent code or IPv6 support is necessary.
> Otherwise the backend will look like saned.c :-)

 ack.

> If this ESC protocol is used by more scanners, putting it into yet
> another file may also make sense.

 I think Epson has at least a couple of network-capable scanners.

 The problem is that whoever encapsulated ESC/I in ENSP
 (Epson Netowrk Scanning Protocol, I guess :) )
 breaked the encapsulation rules.

 ENSP needs to put, in the packet, the number of bytes the scanner
 will have to send in the next answer. This number is only determined
 at ESC/I level.

 I don't know why it has been done this way.. .

 So I think I'll have to prepend a function before each
 send() call in epson.c that, if connection == net,
 will call a sanei_net_epson_foo function to set that
 value.

 The beauty of open source programming is that an error
 like this one would have been catched almost immediately.

--

 Best regards,

 Alessandro Zummo,
  Tower Technologies - Turin, Italy