[sane-devel] Microtek Film Scan 35

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sat Jan 7 17:43:42 UTC 2006

Hi,

On 2006-01-07 19:48, Andrei V. Toutoukine wrote:
> What does "Probably unsupported" mean? Both links gave no hope of
> course...

This means that someone told us that this scanner exists but there is
no obvious backend that could support it. But no in-depth analysis was
done, e.g. which chipset it uses and if it could be supported by an
existing backend.

When I get a report about a scanner which is not in our lists yet, I
usually list it with the comment "Probably unsupported".

> If it means, that the scanner is somehow supported, could you explain how
> to make it working at my Linux box?

If we knew some way, it would be documented in the lists.

> If it means, that the scanner is not supported, I'd like to know how much
> man-hours it would take to create some basic support. I have some free
> time, good knowledge of C and Linux. Could anyone to outline the procedure
> of creating (or extending) the SANE back-end?

See SANE website, section Contributing. See also the archive of this
mailing list for similar questions about writing backends.