[sane-devel] dell1600n-net backend

Jon Chambers jon at jon.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 7 22:31:05 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have written a driver for network scanning using a Dell 1600n MFP.  It
is implemented as a perl script and can be found here:
http://www.jon.demon.co.uk/dell1600n-net-scan/

I am currently in the process of figuring out how to write an equivalent
SANE backend.  I have a couple of problems:

1. Hopefully trivial:  I have written a dummy backend and sym-linked it
to /usr/lib/sane/libsane-dell1600n-net.so.  How can I get a SANE frontend
to find it?

2. The Dell 1600n sends data back in CCITT Fax Group 4 or JPEG formats
(for monochrome or colour scans respectively).  To convert this to an
array of RGB data will require converstion via an external library (eg:
libjpeg).  Is this extra link dependency acceptable for the SANE backends
build?

cheers,
Jon