[sane-devel] sane SCSI 32bit emulation on 64bit

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Mon Jan 9 01:15:50 UTC 2006

Hello Henning,

thanks much for your thoughts!

> > 3) xsane is a GUI around sane,
>
> It's a frontend, not really "gui around sane".
>
> >    but not a scanning application either,
>
> Come on.

Let's not argue about semantics. While I don't doubt that xsane is a
good program for pushing sliders and getting the scanner hardware to do
something, that's all only means to the end of getting a good scan from
a piece of film. Xsane simply doesn't achieve this result, for the
reasons just outlined by Jonathan (and I could add some more). We could
collect them all into a long-term-aims list, but that doesn't change
anything for the near future.

> Linux works pretty well for my desktop (and other Unixes also do).
> Actually my goal is to make SANE better, I don't really care that much
> about Linux.

It all depends on what you're needing to do with it. I find quite a few
areas where equivalent Linux (let alone other Unix) apps aren't
available.

> Just to make one thing clear: Vuescan is NOT a SANE frontend. I.e. it
> does not use any SANE backend. It's a completely independent program
> with independent scanner drivers.

> It just happens to use a part of the internal low level SANE code
> (sanei_scsi).

You're totally right, I should have made this clearer.

> Last time I looked at it (some years ago), this was done
> without even adhering to the license.

Very noughty. You should really point this out to him.

> Abel posted a work-around for that.

Thanks much Henning!! I take it you're referring to this thread:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2003-January/006083.html

This is exactly what happens - the write() to the sg device returns
EINVAL. The workaround of repacking the structure presents itself, I'll
see if I can hack it (bad pun).

Dieter, thanks for the thought - but it doesn't apply to vuescan, which
is linked with sanei_scsi but doesn't use the sane backends.

Thanks everyone,

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.