[sane-devel] USB sanner only as root

Mogens Jaeger mogensjaeger at get2net.dk
Wed Jan 18 02:21:59 UTC 2006

Gustavo Bayer wrote:

> On 2006 20:53:27, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
>
> > See Deabin's README.debian and SANE's README.linux.
> > If adding the user to group "scanner" is not enough, checking if its
> > ids are in /etc/hotplug/usb/libsane
> > .usermap,
> > /etc/sane.d/hotplug/libsane.db or in /etc/udev/libsane.rules may help.
> > The actual file depends on your distribution.
>
> Thank you for the orientaion.
> On both computers I simply changed the id in the corresponding line of
> /etc/sane.d/hotplug/libsane.db from 0664 to 0660 and it worked fine.
> In case of BenQ 5000 it was also necessary to change the product code
> from 0x20fc to 0x20f8, acording to the information obtained trough
> sane-find-scanner, and to insert the firmware 20F8V115 (and not 20F8V116
> as idicated in snapscan.sourceforge.net
> <http://snapscan.sourceforge.net>) in /etc/sane.d/sanapscan.conf.
> Thanks
> Gustavo Bayer

I have the same problem on my SuSE10.0/AMD64 (no such problems in
SuSE9.3/i586)The scanner is an Epson Perfection 2450 Photo/GT-9700. It
won't run if I attach it to USB2, so it is on an firewire port.
Runs without problems when root, but no scanner is found as user.

sane-find-scanner reports:
found SCSI processor "EPSON GT-9700 1.05" at /dev/sg6
This is first time I see the /dev/sg6 - normally its either /dev/sg1 or
/dev/sg5
I have tried to change permissions on the /dev/sg?, and then I can use
the scanner as user, but after next reboot, the root-permissions are back.

Any idea how to change this permanentely? or will it be easier for me to
change to a RedHat/Mandriva/???? than having SuSE to act in a proper way?

I have the sane-backends-1.0.17 installed - but I can't find any
"libsane.rules" or "libsane.db" on my system!
The only libsane* files actually installed is the *.la and *.so*. The
libsane.usermap reside in ~/sane-backends-1.0.17/tools/hotplug

Any help appreciated

--
mvh Mogens Jæger