[sane-devel] USB sanner only as root

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Jan 23 09:17:27 UTC 2006

Hello,

I just picked up the question below but I didn't follow the
is about USB sanner but the question below is about SCSI).

> On 2006-01-18 03:21, Mogens Jaeger wrote:
> > sane-find-scanner reports:
> > found SCSI processor "EPSON GT-9700 1.05" at /dev/sg6
> > This is first time I see the /dev/sg6 - normally its either /dev/sg1 or
> > /dev/sg5
> > I have tried to change permissions on the /dev/sg?, and then I can use
> > the scanner as user, but after next reboot, the root-permissions are back.
> >
> > Any idea how to change this permanentely? or will it be easier for me to
> > change to a RedHat/Mandriva/???? than having SuSE to act in a proper way?

For SCSI scanners in Suse /etc/init.d/sane-dev is used.
This requires that during booting the scaner can be recognized
by "scanimage -L" (i.e. have it switched on during booting and
make sure the necessary SCSI kernel module is loaded during booting).

Alternatively hack something like /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules
to brutally change all 'sg*' permissions.

Note that the device setup changes from version to version.
Additionally there will be further enhancements (e.g. "HAL").
Scanner setup cannot describe all the details about USB, hotplug,
udev, HAL, resmgr, PAM, and so on. Refer to the appropriate specific
documentation if there are problems in one of these areas.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de