[sane-devel] JNI code for SANE

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Thu Jan 26 18:04:33 UTC 2006

Hi,

On 2006-01-24 05:22, Vacuum Joe wrote:
>  I have written a simple JNI interface to SANE.  It works pretty well
>  and lets me do scans, display them, etc, all within Java.  I am
>  interested in possibly getting this included in the SANE project
>  under the same license as SANE itself.  Would the devs be open to
>  this?

Could you explain for java-impaired people like me what jni is, how it
is connected to java and how your project is different to the other
java projects? There is already code that comes with SANE
(sane-backends/japi), there is jsane (commercial,
http://asprise.com/product/jsane/index.php) and morena
(http://www.gnome.sk/Twain/jtp.html).

There are some possibilities to include such a project into SANE:

1) Place it in sane-backends. There you have CVS and it would come
   with every sane-backends installation. However this only makes
   sense if it is widely used and maintained. For this reason I
   already thought about removing japi from sane-backends beacuse its
   unmaintained and doesn't seem to be used.

2) Put it somewhere in the experimental CVS. There is CVS access in
   this case but uses need to install CVS to get the software.

3) Put it on the FTP server (and obviously a link somewhere on the web
   site). No CVS in this case.

Until now I only mention Debian's and redhat's contributions
explicitely, but explicitely mentionning the company/person who wrote
the code isn't a problem.

Including into SANE really needs a maintainer, however. So either you
must manintain it also in future or we must wait for somebody else who
volunteers to do so.

Your other mails don't seem to contain any links, maybe this is
because I use a non-graphical mail program?