[sane-devel] Plustek OpticFilm 7200 : first investigations

Pierre Willenbrock pierre at pirsoft.dnsalias.org
Sat Jan 28 19:48:56 UTC 2006

Jean-Baka Domelevo schrieb:
> On 1/28/06, Pierre Willenbrock <pierre at pirsoft.dnsalias.org> wrote:
>
>>gl841 and gl842 are identical from the driver side. The genesys backend
>>works for my scanner which is a gl842 based Canon LiDE 35.
>>

> Hi Pierre,
> I've downloaded the genesys files from the CVS, and I've seen you're
> the main contributor to the genesys backend nowadays... Thanks very
> much for your work.
> You say gl841 and 842 are to be driven the exact same way... Great
> news, so the "only" thing I have to do is to work out a Genesys_Model
> struct for the OpticFilm 7200 to be but in genesys_devices.c ? And
> also ad something in Sensor[] and Motor[] ? I guess I will have to dig
> out what's the exact CCD in my box, right ?

Well, there is essentially no working support for the ccd of
ccd-scanners. You will need to add that. The only scanners currently
supported by the gl841 part use a cis sensor.

The Motor struct is pretty simple to fill. You could default to 10000
for maximum speed, and it should already be working, but be slow.
Getting a fast scan is a bit harder. You need to look at a log from
windows, and find the maximum final and starting speeds for each
stepping mode. The Sensor struct contains mainly the same values as
windows uses.

> And also, it is said that the GL842 can handle 600, 1200 or 2400 dpi
> resolutions, nothing more? But Plustek repeatedly state that their
> scanner is a 7200 * 7200 dpi _in hardware_... What does it mean ?

The 600, 1200 and 2400dpi dpihw modes are actually used to select a
specific memory model. Apart from that it is only used to calculate how
many of the input pixels are sent to the host.

For example, if the scanner has a 7200dpi sensor, and the chip is in
2400dpi mode, you would set dpiset to 1200 to get an 3600dpi image.

Regards,
  Pierre