[sane-devel] JNI code for SANE

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sun Jan 29 21:51:32 UTC 2006

Hi,

On 2006-01-26 10:39, Vacuum Joe wrote:
>  JNI = Java Native Interface.  Quick summary: Everything within Java

[...]

Thanks for all your explanations.

>  It really belongs in the front-ends I believe.  There seem to be
>  requests and commercial products that do the same thing, so I think
>  there is interest.  Obviously japi is no longer maintained and is
>  not really set up for modern Java use.  For example japi can't do
>  something simple like scan and save as a JPEG.  My code can.  Also
>  my company will sponsor maintenance of the code, with the hope that
>  SANE will just put a simple small link to the company site.

I guess you are right. Once all SANE code was in one package, then
there was a split to -backends and -frontends but japi was kept in
-backends.

So once the GPLed code has been found ok I think it can get part of
sane-frontends.

Concerning japi I think we should pack it into a .tar.gz file, put in
on the ftp server and link to it somewhere in case somebody is still
interested. Then it can be removed from sane-backends CVS.

>  Ah, that is good.  Actually we ideally would like a HTML link.  They
>  will sponsor maintenance and answer questions on it.

I'll just put it on the fronetnds page similar to the other frontends
with a link to you and an explanation that the code is part of
sane-frontends.