[sane-devel] HELP! Epson Perfection 4180 Photo

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Jul 10 03:05:31 UTC 2006

"brinkleybw at bigfoot.com" <brinkleybw at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello all!
> I have an Epson Perfection 4180 Photo USB Scanner that I am trying to use with
> Ubuntu Breezy Badger.  I seemed to have gotten past all of the hurdles listed
> in the various postings I've read, but have hit an issue for which I cannot
> find any documentation.  I downloaded and installed the iScan package from
> Avasys as described here and configured the sane conf files.  It appears that
> the scanner is being recognized.

Did you also install the

  iscan-plugin-gt-f600

package?  A similar problem was mentioned in

  http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2006-June/017083.html

where the user had not installed the corresponding plugin package.

> When I run Xsane, I get a choice of two available devices on the splash
> screen: both are "Epson", but one is at epson:libusb:004:003 and the other at
> epkowa:libusb:004:003.  From what I've read, I've supposed to use Epkowa, but
> I've tried both just in case.  After hitting OK, I get the main Xsane windows
> (v 0.97).  When I click on either of the "Acquire Preview" or "Scan" buttons,
> I get a dialogue box stating, "Failed to start scanner: Invalid Argument".
> In addition, If I try to execute scanimage from the command-line, I get the
> following:
> scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument
> scanimage: WARNING: read more data than announced by backend (0/2409629696)
> iScan returns a similar error, a dialogue stating, "Could not send command to
> scanner. Check the scanner's status".
> Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?  I can send along more info if
> you let me know what to look for.
> Thanks much!
> -Brandon

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/