[sane-devel] brightness/contrast/gamma LUT ideas?

m. allan noah anoah at pfeiffer.edu
Mon Jul 10 19:40:37 UTC 2006

recent model fujitsu scanners dont have native brightness/contrast/gamma
support, instead they use an 256x256 or 1024x256 bit look up table to
convert the raw scan data before 8 bit output.

while it is true that the 8bit square LUT could be done after scanning
with no data loss, most command line front-ends dont do this, and the 10
bit lut has 'access' to more data that never gets out of the scanner, so i
would like to extend the backend to provide at least brightness/contrast
for these scanners.

i need suggestions or pointers to code that i could use. what things i can
find are far over my head, but i have a simple brightness adjustment that
shifts the linear slope of the in-out function up or down, and a crude
contrast setting that changes the slope of the function around the center
of the table. i think both of these methods are likely too simplistic.

anyone?

allan