[sane-devel] using parallel port scanner as ordinary user in recent version of Fedora

Stéphane VOLTZ stefdev at modulonet.fr
Tue Jul 11 05:12:32 UTC 2006

Le mardi 11 juillet 2006 01:36, Andre Robatino a écrit :
>   My father has a Umax Astra 2000P parallel port scanner.  At present
> it's accessible only as root.  Before the advent of udev, it was
> possible to access as an ordinary user by changing the permission of
> /dev/parport0 from 660 to 666.  Since udev appeared in Fedora 2, another
> solution is needed.  After reading sane man pages, we've done the
> following:
>
> 1) In /etc/sane.d/dll.conf, uncommented "umax_pp".
> 2) In /etc/sane.d/net.conf, uncommented "localhost".
> 3) In /etc/xinetd.d, created a file "sane-port" with the contents:
>
> # default: off
> # for network access to a local scanner via the
> # network.
> service sane-port
> {
>    port        = 6566
>    socket_type = stream
>    wait        = no
>    user        = root
>    group       = root
>    server      = /usr/sbin/saned
> }
>
>   This is copied from the template in the saned man page, with the user
> and group changed from saned to root, since user and group saned don't
> exist, and since running as root would allow direct hardware access.  I
> didn't add "localhost" to /etc/sane.d/sane.conf since the saned man page
> says that connections from localhost are always permitted.  The file
> /etc/services already contains the lines
>
> sane-port       6566/tcp                        # SANE Control Port
> sane-port       6566/udp                        # SANE Control Port
>
> Ordinary user access still doesn't work.  What's wrong?

	Hello,

	I haven't enough saned experience to tell you what might going on. But I have
the feeling the trouble oyu have with /dev/parport0 may just be an issue
with 'ppdev' kernel module autoloading.
	Can you send the debug messages of 'scanimage -L' with the environment
variables SANE_DEBUG_UMAX_PP and SANE_DEBUG_UMAX_PP_LOW set to 255 ?
There will be traces of which device is used or not, and some informations why
they are used.

Regards,
	Stef