[sane-devel] Experiences with the Minolta Scan Dual II

Alfred captain at planet.nl
Tue Jul 11 16:04:27 UTC 2006

Hi everyone,

I'd like to document my experiences in getting my Minolta Dimâge Scan Dual
II (also AF-2820U or FS-V1) to run with sane-avision. I started at zero but
got a working setup by following these steps.

1. After plugin, the 'hpusbscsi' module was claiming ownership of my
scanner, so I disabled it by adding it to /etc/hotplug/blacklist. (I still
run kernel 2.6.24; newer kernels don't even have this module.)

2. Avision could now grab ownership of the scanner, but the calibration
step failed. I followed in ZP and Dietmar's footsteps and added the
AV_ONE_CALIB_CMD flag to the Scan Dual II device description in avision.c,
which did the trick and got me past calibration.

3. When trying to scan some frames, the sane-avision driver seemed to
timeout before the scanner had moved the film holder to the right frame. I
had to change STD_STATUS_TIMEOUT from 2500 to 20000 to give the film holder
enough time to travel to its position. (The 20000 is trial-and-error; I
started at 5000 and went up in steps of 5000 while trying to scan frame 6,
which requires the furthest travel.) Error log of the original situation
available on request.

I have a working scanner now and am fairly happy! Some random comments:

- I do calibration with 'scanimage -d avision > /dev/null', which is not
very elegant but fairly painless. I do scanning with 'scanimage -d avision
--frame 4 --resolution 2820 | pnmtopng > outfile.png'.

- Scanning with '--mode Gray' is broken on this scanner. Three different
parts of the original image are interlaced vertically, like:

Sample images on request. This means I have to do full RGB scans on my b/w
negatives...

- How do I enable 16-bit output? The Scan Dual II has 12-bit A/D
conversion, but sane-avision seems to have no command switch (as per
'scanimage -d avision -h') to choose between 8-bit and 16-bit output.
Having the full dynamic range is important with film scanning because of
the high dynamic range of the negatives themselves and the needs of
postprocessing.

- How do I bypass the scanner's internal gamma correction and get my hands
on the raw 'untouched' image data? I find that the internal gamma
correction loses a lot of information that I could previously obtain with
Minolta's Windows software if I scanned the negatives in as slides. (This
probably applied a high gamma to the original 12-bit data, which preserves
the extremes.) For archiving purposes, I want as much dynamic detail in my
negatives as possible. I rather get the uncorrected image and do the gamma
correction myself, than getting an acceptable-but-not-super pre-corrected
image back from the scanner. Yes, I'm a terrible perfectionist ;-)  Do I
have to set 'gamma' to '1.0' in the source code? Or maybe the
'--gamma-correction' switch may help here, but I'm not sure how it works.
Do I have to supply 255 values on the command line?

- The Scan Dual II has support for autofocus, manual focus and
autoexposure. The autoexposure is probably done in software, but what about
the autofocus? Is it possible to control or enable it?

- A command switch '--negative' or '--invert' would be welcome for scanning
negatives, together with maybe an option to write landscape-oriented images
instead of portrait ones. But maybe these are typical frontend
responsibilities.

All in all, the Linux support for this device is quite good and I would
really like to thank everyone who made it possible! Not being able to use
my expensive hardware under Linux was one of the last things that was
keeping me from going 100% Linux :-)

Cheers,
--A. Klomp

The Netherlands