[sane-devel] using parallel port scanner as ordinary user in recent version of Fedora

Andre Robatino andre at bwh.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 11 19:13:16 UTC 2006

m. allan noah wrote:

> this is just a permissions problem? can you get the udev subsystem to
> set the mode of the parport file to something more permissive?

  It's definitely a permissions problem.  The permissions on
/dev/parport0 are:

crw-rw---- 1 root lp 99, 0 Jul 11 13:19 /dev/parport0

  Prior to udev we simply changed the permissions to 666 and that
worked.  On my Fedora box, I tried editing
/etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules by changing the permissions in the line

KERNEL=="parport*",             GROUP="lp", MODE="0660"

to 666.  This didn't work - after rebooting, the permissions are still
660.  I read something somewhere about this having something to do with
pam security which I don't know anything about.  It seems that figuring
out how to change the permissions to 666 will be at least as difficult
as finding out how to do this the "right" way.