[sane-devel] Avision scanner timeout

Kerry Menzel kmenzel at rx30.com
Fri Jul 14 13:55:43 UTC 2006

I finally got back on this project. I downloaded and ran kanotix. Without
installing anything, my scanner worked when logged in as root. I looked at
the kernel version. It was 2.6.14. The SANE scanimage version was 1.0.17 on
kanotix. I then went back to my other trial system that runs RedHat
2.6.9-5.EL. I'm running the same version of SANE on RedHat 2.6.9 and my
2.4.29 kernel. I can't figure out why scanimage times out on those two
kernels. Unfortunately I need get this scanner to work on the 2.4.9 kernel
because we have a few thousand customers running this kernel and we want to
add scanner support.

The biggest difference I notice between these kernels is that the 2.6.9 and
2.4.29 kernels originally tried to load the hpusbscsi module. With hpusbscsi
loaded, sane-find-scanner sees the scanner, but scanimage -L does not. I use
modprobe to remove hpusbscsi and scanimage sees the scanner, but times out
when trying to write.

The avision library seems to time out the first time it tries to send an
INQUIRY. I'm thinking it can open the connection to the device, but can not
write to it. I just don't know enough about USB or scanners to know why. I
am running as root.

[avision] attach: sending standard INQUIRY
[avision] filling command to have a length of 10, was: 6
[avision] try to write cmd, count: 10.
[avision] wrote 0 bytes
[avision] === Got error 9 trying to write, wrote: 0. ===

Any ideas on how to proceed would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Kerry

[dll] load: dlopen()ing `/usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-avision.so.1'
[dll] init: initializing backend `avision'
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of avision to 128.
[avision] sane_init:(Version: 1.0 Build: 182)
[avision] sane_init: parsing config line ""
[avision] sane_init: config file line 1: ignoring empty line
[avision] sane_init: parsing config line "# This are the possible options.
Normally any scanner"
[avision] sane_init: config file line 2: ignoring comment line
[avision] sane_init: parsing config line "# should work just fine without
them - and they are only"
[avision] sane_init: config file line 3: ignoring comment line
[avision] sane_init: parsing config line "# needed for test and debugging.
So if you experience problems"
[avision] sane_init: config file line 4: ignoring comment line
[avision] sane_init: parsing config line "# and you solve them with enabling
options here, please notify"
[avision] sane_init: config file line 5: ignoring comment line
[avision] sane_init: parsing config line "# the SANE/Avision maintainer:
Rene Rebe <rene at exactcode.de>"
[avision] sane_init: config file line 6: ignoring comment line
[avision] sane_init: parsing config line ""
[avision] sane_init: config file line 7: ignoring empty line
[avision] sane_init: parsing config line "#option disable-gamma-table"
[avision] sane_init: config file line 8: ignoring comment line
[avision] sane_init: parsing config line "#option disable-calibration"
[avision] sane_init: config file line 9: ignoring comment line
[avision] sane_init: parsing config line "#option force-a4"
[avision] sane_init: config file line 10: ignoring comment line
[avision] sane_init: parsing config line ""
[avision] sane_init: config file line 11: ignoring empty line
[avision] sane_init: parsing config line "scsi AVISION"
[avision] sane_init: config file line 12: trying to attach SCSI: scsi
AVISION'
[avision] sane_init: parsing config line "scsi FCPA"
[avision] sane_init: config file line 13: trying to attach SCSI: scsi FCPA'
[avision] sane_init: parsing config line "scsi MINOLTA"
[avision] sane_init: config file line 14: trying to attach SCSI: scsi
MINOLTA'
[avision] sane_init: parsing config line "scsi MITSBISH MCA-S600C"
[avision] sane_init: config file line 15: trying to attach SCSI: scsi
MITSBISH MCA-S600C'
[avision] sane_init: parsing config line "scsi MITSBISH MCA-SS600"
[avision] sane_init: config file line 16: trying to attach SCSI: scsi
MITSBISH MCA-SS600'
[avision] sane_init: parsing config line "scsi HP"
[avision] sane_init: config file line 17: trying to attach SCSI: scsi HP'
[avision] sane_init: parsing config line "scsi hp"
[avision] sane_init: config file line 18: trying to attach SCSI: scsi hp'
[avision] sane_init: parsing config line ""
[avision] sane_init: config file line 19: ignoring empty line
[avision] sane_init: parsing config line "scsi /dev/scanner"
[avision] sane_init: config file line 20: trying to attach SCSI: scsi
/dev/scanner'
[avision] sane_init: parsing config line "#usb libusb:002:003"
[avision] sane_init: config file line 21: ignoring comment line
[avision] sane_init: parsing config line "# usb 0x03f0 0x0701"
[avision] sane_init: config file line 22: ignoring comment line
[avision] sane_init: parsing config line "usb 0x0638 0x0a23"
[avision] sane_init: config file line 23: trying to attach USB:`usb 0x0638
0x0a23'
[avision] attach:
[avision] attach: opening libusb:002:004
[avision] attach: sending standard INQUIRY
[avision] filling command to have a length of 10, was: 6
[avision] try to write cmd, count: 10.
[avision] wrote 0 bytes
[avision] === Got error 9 trying to write, wrote: 0. ===
[avision] try to read status to clear the FIFO
[avision] avision_usb_status: timeout 500, 1 retries
[avision] ==> (bulk read) going down ...
[avision] <== (bulk read) got: 0, status: 0
[avision] ==> (interrupt read) going down ...
[avision] <== (interrupt read) got: 0, status: 0
[avision] === Got error 9 trying to read status. ===
[avision] attach: standard inquiry failed (Error during device I/O)

<http://kanotix.org/> ) - this works