[sane-devel] HELP! Epson Perfection 4180 Photo

brinkleybw at bigfoot.com brinkleybw at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 13:00:55 UTC 2006

 Hello all!

I wanted to post the solution for my problem with SANE and the Epson
Perfection 4180 Color, should it prove useful for someone else in the
future.  As previously mentioned, the epkowa drivers and related plugin were
loaded per the Avasys instructions.  The logs were showing evidence that the
firmware file was not being loaded (all calls to the device were failing).
In an earlier attempt to remove ambiguity while debugging the SANE config
files (before properly loading epkowa), I had added the vendor and product
IDs to the usb line in the conf file (usb 0x04b8 0x0118), thereby triggering
a bug in the backend.  According to Olaf Meeuwissen, who was a great help in
all of this, the problem only affects models that require iscan plugins and
this bug has been fixed for the next release.  Thanks again, Olaf!

-Brandon