[sane-devel] Canon FS2720U info and comments

Tabor Kelly tkelly-sane-devel at taborandtashell.net
Tue Jul 18 19:32:19 UTC 2006

Hello,

I took the cover off of my Canon FS2720U to try to confirm some
suspicions I have about the unit. The main board has what looks like a
CPU and it is marked "Canon KINUGAWA YH4-0153." The main board is
marked "YG7-0172-01" in one spot and "Z923A" in another. There is a
daughter card marked "BL15-25-2 YG6-0004" and another marked
"YG6-0003." The power supply is marked "YG7-0171."

Now, for the interesting part:

In plain sight on the main board is a "NINJASCSI3R WORKBIT9907" chip.

I suspect this is a Canon 2710 with a USB port slapped onto it. Could
someone help be verify my suspicions? Google shows that the Canon
FS4000 has a YH4-0201 in it, I suspect the 2710 has a YH4-0153 in it,
but I would like verification.

In windows, when I select the "Unplug or Eject Hardware" thingamajig
from the take bar, it only has "Canon Scanner SCSI Bridge Controller"
listed. However, USB-sniff has "Canon Scanner USB Controller" listed.
When I turn the scanner off a dialog box titled "Unsafe removal of
Device" appears and now in addition to the "Canon Scanner SCSI Bridge
Controller" it also has "CanoScan FS2720U" listed, but the device list
in USB-Sniff has not changed.

Thanks,

Tabor Kelly