[sane-devel] Canon LiDE 20: Awful noise after/before scans

Dimitrios Bogiatzoules linux at bogiatzoules.de
Sun Jul 23 12:39:02 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I hope I'm not rehashing an old story but I hadn't any success after
searching the net for a solution.

As a bunch of users reported in various forums and lists a bug that
causes the plustek driver to fail with the Canon LiDE 20 scanner was
probably introduced in one of the various sane updates. The problem is
that after one scan (either pre or normal scan) the CCD sensor is not
stopped when reaching the end of the scanning area. The scanner then
makes horrible noises and can only be stopped by pulling out the USB plug.

Too bad that I need the scanner only 1-2 times a year so that I can't
deliver more details about my last working version with the exception
that it was the package from SUSE 9.3:

sane-1.0.15-12.i586.rpm
sane-frontends-1.0.13-3.i586.rpm

I experienced this bug (?) today using SANE-Backends-1.0.18 (from
packman) and any actions I tried failed. It doesn't seem to matter which
front end is used, xscanimage, xscan and kooka, all failed.
Re-configuring the scanner after deleting all configuration files also
didn't help, neither did any re-installing.

In the sane-devel list archive I found a suggestion to use a source
snapshot, so I removed my RPMs, downloaded
sane-backends-2006-07-23.tar.gz and sane-frontends-2006-07-23.tar.gz
from www.sane-project.org/snapshots and compiled them with the same
results: the problem is still there :-(

Here are some data for you:

sane-find-scanner:
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x220d [CanoScan],
chip=LM9832/3) at libusb:003:003

scanimage -L:
device `plustek:libusb:003:003' is a Canon N670U/N676U/LiDE20 USB
flatbed scanner

scanimage -V:
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.18-cvs; backend version 1.0.18

I'd appreciate any comment, patch or help in order to get my scanner
working. If needed I'll donate a LiDE 20 to the developer team, although
I'll have to get it from eBay since they are not sold any more (just
sent me a private e-mail with a delivery address, preferably in Germany).

Best regards,

Taki
--
Dimitrios Bogiatzoules		Mitglied des Vorstands LPI e.V. German
LPIC-2