[sane-devel] USB-Sniff Help

m. allan noah anoah at pfeiffer.edu
Mon Jul 24 20:12:35 UTC 2006

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, m. allan noah wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Tabor Kelly wrote:
>
>> I am still wading through this log
>> (http://tabor.taborandtashell.net/sane-fs2720u/turned_on.LOG). There are a
>> couple of places I get confused. If somebody could explain exactly what is
>> happening, that would be extremely helpful.
>>
>> Here is the first place:

> cant help you on that. as it happens before the usb config has been set, it
> may be part of some firmware upload, etc.
>
>> And here is the second:
>
> urb 57 is a standard SCSI inquiry, padded to 12 bytes long with nulls.
>
> so, urb 58 is the scanners response. it says:
>
> 0000: 06 00 02 02 1f 00 00 10 43 41 4e 4f 4e 20 20 20
> 'i am a scanner, i speak SCSI2, 0x1f bytes remain, i support sync,
>  my mother is CANON padded to 8 chars with spaces'
>
> 0010: 49 58 2d 32 37 30 32 35 45 20 20 20 20 20 20 20
> 'my name is IX-27025E padded to 16 bytes with spaces'
>
> 0020: 31 2e 31 33
> 'my version is 1.13'

and after this- you will see that the scanner driver asks the same
question over and over again, with the only change being the LUN.
That may be a leftover from the days when the driver was used on
actual scsi scanners, or it may be a means for the scanner to expose
the existance of different sub-components. in all likelyhood, you
can leave them out.

allan