[sane-devel] backend configuration error.

Rupesh Tarpara rupesh.tarpara at patni.com
Wed Jul 26 09:35:49 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have hand held image scanner which is a USB-ACM device and uses standard
ACM driver (serial communication protocol over USB interface). The device
file created by driver is /dev/input/ttyACM0 (virtual serial device).

Following is the build procedure I have followed.

I have downloaded "sane-backends 1.0.18" source and made the following
changes to incorporate my device:
1. I have created a new backend source file for this device.
2. I have modified "sane-backends-1.0.18/configure.in" and
"sane-backends-1.0.18/backend/Makefile.in" files to include my backend.
3. executed autoconf, ./configure, make and make install
4. all libraries were installed at "/usr/local/lib/sane"

I modified the "/usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf" file to include my backend
name.

I am using Xsane as frontend. When I run Xsane, it gives error message as
"no devices available"

My queries,

1) are there any backend configuration steps which I might have skipped?
2) What is the procedure frontend follows when it is executed?
3) How does the communication happens (or initiates) between Frontend<---->
backend <------> device?
4) What are the steps to be followed for new backend installation?

-------------------------------------

Additional information about OS and sane version I am using.

I am using RedHat AS3 OS, following is the output of uname -a
[root at mypc root]# uname -a
Linux mypc.home.com 2.4.21-40.EL #1 Thu Feb 2 22:32:00 EST 2006 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux

[root at mypc root]# scanimage --version
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.18; backend version 1.0.18

Regards,

Rupesh

http://www.patni.com

kindly delete  this e-mail from your records. If it appears that this
us immediately at netadmin at patni.com and delete this mail.