[sane-devel] Epson 2480 and scanner lamp

Miguel Bazdresch eorlinga at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 13:31:33 UTC 2006

Hello,

I just upgraded to SANE-Backends-1.0.18 and my Epson 2480 works better
than ever. Thanks!

I have a question/comment about the scanner lamp. This scanner doesn't
have an on/off button, so it remains on whenever it's plugged in (I
remember a Dilbert strip about this very theory of design, but
anyway...)

I have noticed that, if I run xsane, then after a few minutes of
inactivity the scanner lamp is turned off (by the firmware, I assume).
However, if I don't run xsane first, the lamp stays on indefinitely.

I'm concerned about the life span of the lamp. Is there a way to make
it turn off, even if I don't run xsane? Right now my alternatives are
either run xsane everytime I turn the computer on, or just keep the
scanner unplugged most of the time.

--
Miguel Bazdresch