[sane-devel] Setting up Canon Perfection USB scanner for use in network: questions, problems

James Tuttle jwtuttle at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 15:53:23 UTC 2006

I had a similar issue with a tape drive reverting its ownership and
permissions after reboot.

Although this probably isn't the "right way" to make it persistent, I
just added the following lines to my /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh script:

ln -s /dev/nst0 /dev/tape
chmod 777 /dev/tape
ln -s /dev/sg0 /dev/changer
chmod 777 /dev/changer

I think you could do the same thing for changing the group on the USB
devices as I did for the tape and generic SCSI device. The script
runs (as root) during the bootup process, I think as one of the last
things to be done.

This is on Kubuntu Breezy, not sure how CentOS handles it.

-James