[sane-devel] Are all Epson MFPs supported?

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Thu Jun 8 05:47:22 UTC 2006

"Heimdall Midgard" <heimdalle at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm planning to buy an Epson Stylus multifuntion printer. Could
> somebody tell me if there's any difference between device models
> CX-##00 and CX-#[#+/-1]00. For example the Sane project hardware
> compatibility lists give the Epson Stylus CX-3600, CX-4200 and
> CX-4600 as 'good' rating. However, the only models available
> where I live are models CX-3700, CX-4100, CX-4500 and
> CX-4700. The CX-3700 has a Sane entry, so I'm curious whether the
> models with the 'odd' hundred digit are simply relabeled versions
> of the corresponding 'even' model.

The CX3700 corresponds to a CX3800, CX4100 to CX4200, CX4500 to CX4600
and CX4700 to CX4800.  All these models understand the ESC/I protocol
and therefore should work to at least some extent with the epson
backend.  The corresponding status would be basic or good.

You may have to explicitly set the USB product ID in the configuration
file to get the backend to recognise the device.  Like so:

  usb 0x04b8 0x08##

where the final ## has to be replaced with the real values.  You can
use `lsusb` to find the value as well as `sane-find-scanner`.

The CX3700/CX3800 and CX4500/CX4600 are supported by the epkowa
backend that is available as part of "Image Scan! for Linux" as
of version 1.17.0 and 1.10.0 respectively.  The current version
is 2.0.0.

A new release is project sometime this summer.  I hope it will be in
time to add the info for the additional models to epkowa.desc to the
upcoming sane-backends release.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/