[sane-devel] Xerox WorkCentre P16

Sangeeta Joneja sangeeta.joneja at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 06:53:28 UTC 2006

On 6/10/06, Nigel Ridley <nigel at rmk.co.il> wrote:

> Sangeeta Joneja wrote:
> > Hi List
> >
> > I am trying to configure my Xerox WorkCentre P16 on Ubuntu Breezy. I
> > have installed Samsung SCX-4216 driver. The printer works fine but when
> > I am trying to run Scanner thru Samsung configurator the error I get is
> >
> > sane_open - device name "SAMSUNG WorkCentre PE16 on USB:0"cannot open!
> >
> > Please help.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Sangeeta
> > !DSPAM:448aabf615981804284693!
> >

> It could be a permisions problem.
> What is the output of:
> 'sane-find-scanner'?

'sane-find-scanner' shows nothing but the output of 'lsusb'

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0924:4220 Xerox
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 045e:0084 Microsoft Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

xsane gives the same error I have quoted earlier.

If it is:

> 'found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x0818) at libusb:001:002' or
> something similar, you will need to modify the permissions on
> /proc/bus/usb/001/ and perhaps /proc/bus/usb/002/
>
> This is what I did for my Epson all_in_one usb:
>
> First add all users to the 'scanner' group; then
> 'sudo chgrp scanner /proc/bus/usb/001/* /proc/bus/usb/002/* -R'
> This will change the group to 'scanner' (and all files contained in
> those directories).
>
> (I changed both directories as I am not sure which one the scanner will
> [always] use).
>
> This is only a temporary solution as it will revert back to root root on
> either a reboot or if you restart the scanner - so I created a
> 'Bookmark' in 'Konsole' so instead of having to retype it all again I
> just click on the Bookmark and hit enter (then give my password).
> You could create an alias instead though (I'm using Kubuntu, so there
> might be something similar under Gnome).

Tried out the above option also but no success.

Please help..........