[sane-devel] Epson 4490 in Debian

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Jun 12 23:29:20 UTC 2006

Julien BLACHE <jb at jblache.org> writes:

> Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Of course, if the Debian maintainer(s) have been mucking around with
>> this, that is their problem/responsibility/fault/whatever.
>
> I should be redifining this path, IIRC, to use /usr/lib/epkowa
> instead.

I had a look at the source package since, and, yes, you did change the
path to /usr/lib/epkowa.  Since I've done some reorganising WRT to the
interpreters (libesint*.so), you may find that 2.0.0 (and the upcoming
2.1.0) will be smoother sailing when packaging.  All interpreters are
now installed in $pkglibdir and the backend will now work both with
and without the interpreters installed.

There is also a ./configure option to turn building of the frontend
off to cater to non-i386 builds.  The default is to test for the
architecture and turn it off if non-i386, but you can override on the
command-line.

I guess that for Debian that doesn't really matter much because there
is still a BLOB in the source tarball :-(
# The good news is that there only one now, instead of seven ;-)

> I need to update epkowa in libsane-extras, it's long overdue
> indeed. I'll get it updated in libsane-extras 1.0.18.1 when
> sane-backends 1.0.18 gets released.

Note that iscan-2.1.0 is slated for release at approximately the same
schedule as the upcoming sane-backends.  If you have any questions WRT
packaging for libsane-extras, you know where to find me ;-)
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/