[sane-devel] How to detect USB scanners on linux?

m. allan noah anoah at pfeiffer.edu
Tue Jun 13 13:37:57 UTC 2006

rupesh- commands you might be interested in:

tail /var/log/messages
dmesg | tail
lsusb
lsusb -v

use these before and after you connect the device, to make sure it shows
up. if it does not, you have basic usb issues that you need to address
first. i would suggest moving to a more recent linux, something with a 2.6
kernel :)

if the device shows up, then i would suggest that you try to build a
little libusb program, entirely outside of sane, that can find and talk to
the scanner.

allan