[sane-devel] Epson 4490 in Debian

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Jun 13 23:56:29 UTC 2006

Fredrik Sandstrom <fs at iki.fi> writes:

> Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp> writes:
>> If you're using iscan, then it's an arguably stupid limitation in the
>> frontend.  If you also hit this when using other frontend let me know
>> what
>>
>>   $ SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=10 scanimage 2> perfection-4490.log
>>
>> barfs into the perfection-4490.log file.
>>
>> There should be a list of the resolutions that the device claims to be
>> able to handle.
>
> It only gives these resolutions:
> [epkowa] resolution (dpi): 300
> [epkowa] resolution (dpi): 600
> [epkowa] resolution (dpi): 1200
> [epkowa] resolution (dpi): 2400
>
> But iscan gives a lot more options, but alas 2400 is the highest
> resolution there too. The scanner is however advirtised as being
> capable of 4800x9600.

Your scanner can scan at 4800dpi optical.  However, the support level
of the epkowa (and epson) backend only allow settings in the list you
included :-(  The iscan frontend does the other ones in software.

To add support for resolutions > 3200 modifications in both the
frontend as well as the backend are required.

If you want this supported, I suggest you file a support request with

  pipsnews at avasys.jp

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/