[sane-devel] Epson 3170 in Kubuntu

Adrian Jadic jadic at dallnet.net
Thu Jun 15 11:55:35 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 13 June 2006 18:48, you wrote:

> If you have the plugin installed, it ought to work with other SANE
> frontends as well.  But wait!  You run on AMD64, right?  It won't work
> with 64bit.  You will need to run all your SANE stuff in 32bit mode.

AMD 3000+ 32 bit.
Other sane frontends like kooka and Gwenviw do not work. This is basically my
big mystery. They did work in suse 9.3 but with 10.0 and 10.1 they don't
work . only Iscan can fire up this scanner. Now I found the same situation
in Kubuntu as well. I had so much trouble with this scanner that I was
really thinking to sell it on ebay and get a Canon Lide or smthg since I
don't use the film feature anyway nor have I used the high resolution enough
to justify this unit.

But let me first thank you for trying to help me with this., I have been
crying about this issue in all possible forums, reported bugs and so on. I
even returned a purchased suse 10.0 on this issue (among others) and nobody
gave it any attention.

> > So now kooka displays that small window with "choosing device" and the
> > Epson 3170 is listed correctly.
> > But when I press "preview" or "scan" nothing happens.
>
> Hmm, that's weird.  If listed in the window to choose a device, the
> backend did see the device allright.  Could you take a look at the
> debugging output?
>
>   $ SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=50 iscan 2> debug.log

I am attaching the output as requested. I also did one with kooka and I see
that it is different so I am attaching it as well

But, shouldn't this unit work just by installing libsane and libsane-extras?
I see that libsane-extras has epkowa. Bottom line which file does actually
contain the driver?

Thank you