[sane-devel] Epson 3170 in Kubuntu

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Jun 19 01:14:07 UTC 2006

Adrian Jadic <jadic at dallnet.net> writes:

> On Tuesday 13 June 2006 18:48, you wrote:
>
>> If you have the plugin installed, it ought to work with other SANE
>> frontends as well.  But wait!  You run on AMD64, right?  It won't work
>> with 64bit.  You will need to run all your SANE stuff in 32bit mode.
>
> AMD 3000+ 32 bit.

That ought to be OK.

> Other sane frontends like kooka and Gwenviw do not work. This is basically my
> big mystery. They did work in suse 9.3 but with 10.0 and 10.1 they don't
> work . only Iscan can fire up this scanner. Now I found the same situation
> in Kubuntu as well. I had so much trouble with this scanner that I was
> really thinking to sell it on ebay and get a Canon Lide or smthg since I
> don't use the film feature anyway nor have I used the high resolution enough
> to justify this unit.
>
> But let me first thank you for trying to help me with this., I have been
> crying about this issue in all possible forums, reported bugs and so on. I
> even returned a purchased suse 10.0 on this issue (among others) and nobody
> gave it any attention.
>

>> > So now kooka displays that small window with "choosing device" and the
>> > Epson 3170 is listed correctly.
>> > But when I press "preview" or "scan" nothing happens.
>>
>> Hmm, that's weird.  If listed in the window to choose a device, the
>> backend did see the device allright.  Could you take a look at the
>> debugging output?
>>
>>   $ SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=50 iscan 2> debug.log
>
> I am attaching the output as requested. I also did one with kooka and I see
> that it is different so I am attaching it as well

> [epkowa] sane_get_devices()
> [epkowa] sane_open(libusb:005:004)
> [epkowa] init_options()
> [epkowa] open_scanner()
> [epkowa] setvalue(option = 43, value = 0xbfb7da90)
> [epkowa] close_scanner(fd = 0)

Hmmm, option 43 is the document source.  Setting that option does not
cause any communication to the device, AFAIK.  There are two calls in
the sources that could trigger an error at this point:

 - sanei_constrain_value
 - search_string_list

and there is no way to extract more debugging info without modifying
the source code.  Looking at the source code of both functions, the
only reason I can think of that would trigger a failure to set the
document source here, is that your frontend tries to set an invalid or
non-existent document source.  The list of available sources should be
correct based on the log (so there is no chance of duplicate matches
that would cause sanei_constrain_value to return a no good status).

To summarise, I have no clue :-(.  Perhaps that running iscan with a
more verbose debug setting sheds some light on this, but I doubt it.

  $ SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=127 iscan &> perfection-3170.log

Are you 100% positive that you are running a 100% 32bit setup when
trying to use the scanner?

I don't understand what the kooka error messages are about.  Maybe
something in libkscan itself?

> But, shouldn't this unit work just by installing libsane and libsane-extras?
> I see that libsane-extras has epkowa. Bottom line which file does actually
> contain the driver?

The epkowa backend from libsane-extras is not expected to work with
this device.  It requires a non-free module which is not included in
that package (for obvious reasons).  You can safely uninstall it if
you don't use the other SANE backends it includes.

Your EPSON Perfection 3170 should work (out-of-the-box) by installing
libsane and a recent version of iscan (>= 1.18.0) with the plugin that
your device requires (iscan-plugin-gt-9400).

# I'm not sure what'll happen if you also have libsane-extras
# installed, so suggest you uninstall it.

> Thank you
>

>> The output will end up in the debug.log file.
>>
>> > Thank you,
>> > A Jadic

As always, hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/