[sane-devel] Epson 3170 in Kubuntu

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Jun 20 00:36:08 UTC 2006

Adrian Jadic <jadic at dallnet.net> writes:

> Just another reminder that Iscan works on my machine. I have a feeling you
> understood that it doesn't. Am I wrong?

No, you are right.  I was indeed under the impression that iscan did
NOT work for you.  Sorry about the misunderstanding.

> To recap. Yes, as you said I installed the two iscan files from avasys and
> together with libsane everything went fine.
> (BTW why don't you also provide deb packages on the Avasys website? As there
> is no source for the plugin all we have is an RPM.)

I'd suggest sending a short mail requesting this (with a rationale) to
pipsnews at avasys dot jp.

In the mean time, alien is your friend.  The plugins don't do anything
special before/after (un)installing, so there should be no problems.

> scanimage command also moves the scanner.
>
> The big mystery is why kooka and Gwenview don't work.
> And a bigger mystery is why they do work in SUSE 9.3 with KDE 3.5.2 and they
> don't work with the same KDE version on a newer kernel in both suse and
> Kubuntu.
> There is another thread on the Kubuntu forum about this issue and other people
> have also complained that after an upgrade to Dapper the 3170 scanner does
> not fire-up anymore. It appears I'm not the only one with this issue.

You might want to post the URL so we can all go take a look ;-)

> I did a verbose debug and attaching the files for iscan and kooka

Thanks for the logs but they don't say anything new.  I think the
problem is with libkscan (perhaps indirectly because Scim is also
bleating).

> Another curious thing: on SUSE 9.3 I see no libkscan...is this a clue?

As a package?  I just checked a default 9.3 Professional install and
there most certainly is a libkscan.so under /opt/kde3/lib.

> [snip]

Still hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/