[sane-devel] genesys endianess

Pierre Willenbrock pierre at pirsoft.dnsalias.org
Tue Mar 7 22:17:10 UTC 2006

Hi all,

i am planning to complete the endian conversion code in the genesys backend.

I identified the following fields where endian conversion is neccessary:

Going down to scanner:
* slope tables
* shading tables
* gamma tables

The registers need to be addressed bytewise anyways, so they don't need
endian conversion anyways. The slope tables already have some code to
convert endianess when creating the tables, but the tables are accessed
after that conversion. I think the best way to handle this issue is just
before sending the data to the scanner. This would leave the data in
memory in an easily useable form.

Coming up from scanner(scanned data):
* actual scan data
* calibration data

These are two fields, as the data for a scan is handled different from
data for calibration. Also, the data for actual scans is already
processed to correct endianess. Calibration data on the other hand is
used in a many functions. I am planning to add a function that swaps the
bytes in place if needed which should be called on the pixel data.

Any points i am missing?

Regards,
  Pierre