[sane-devel] modularize sane-backends

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Thu Mar 16 23:29:28 UTC 2006

* Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning at meier-geinitz.de> schrieb:

Hi,

> > I'm going to modularize the sane-backends package.
>
> Could you provide some background about why you want to do this?

a) I just wanna install that code that's really required,
   and I've got just one scanner.

b) build is much faster if only the required parts have to be built

c) separate packages can be developed and released independently.

> > My current plan is to split it into an libsane package and
> > separate ones for each driver. At first, I'll supply patches
> > against the monolithic tree to just build one package,
> > later I'm going to splitt off the tree.
>
> I'm not sure if it makes sense keeping in mind that most the
> backends use common code (e.g. from sanei).

That's why sanei is a separate library.

My current state of work:

+ http://www.metux.de/released/sane-libsanei/sane-libsanei-1.0.17.0.tar.bz2
+ http://www.metux.de/released/sane-libsane/sane-libsane-1.0.17.0.tar.bz2