[sane-devel] modularize sane-backends

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Fri Mar 24 22:06:27 UTC 2006

Hi,

On 2006-03-17 00:29, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> > > I'm going to modularize the sane-backends package.
> >
> > Could you provide some background about why you want to do this?
>
> a) I just wanna install that code that's really required,
>    and I've got just one scanner.

BACKENDS=gt68xx ./configure

will just install the gt68xx backend (for example).

> b) build is much faster if only the required parts have to be built
>
> c) separate packages can be developed and released independently.

Which will cause trouble when anything is changed. I think the sanei
code is packaged with the backends exactly for that reason. It doesn't
really have a stable interface.

> My current state of work:

I just looked at the list of files (beacuse of lack of time). So just
some comments:

> + http://www.metux.de/released/sane-libsanei/sane-libsanei-1.0.17.0.tar.bz2
> + http://www.metux.de/released/sane-libsane/sane-libsane-1.0.17.0.tar.bz2
> + http://www.metux.de/released/sane-backend-net/sane-backend-net-1.0.17.0.tar.bz2

Do all the ways to link to SANE work this way?
Looks like all the compatibility headers and libs need to be part of
all backend packages. I'm not sure if this doesn't make the whole
thing much more complicated and complex.