[sane-devel] ADF jam creating empty output files

m. allan noah anoah at pfeiffer.edu
Fri Mar 31 19:55:44 UTC 2006

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Lonny L. Granstrom wrote:

> Using scanimage, scanadf, and fujitsu back-end, specifically model fi-4220C2.
>
> When an ADF "Document feeder jammed" error occurs I am catching the return
> code and STDERR message.
> Then, allowing Users 15 seconds to clear jam before beginning scanning loop
> again.
> Program written as BASH Shell script.
>
> Problems:
> 1. scanimage & scanadf both create an output file for the document that was
> not completely scanned due to ADF jam.
> 2. Output file is "blank". ImageMagick identify command finds image file
> construction correct, just empty.
> 3. These "blank" files occur in both PNM & TIFF formatted output.
>
> Should I code to remove the last output file produced every time the
> "Document feeder jammed" occurs?
> Is there another method or parameter to use to eliminate these "blanks"?

are you doing output redirection yourself ('scanimage > file.pnm')? if so,
there is nothing the front or backend could do about it, and you will have
to remove it yourself. if you are not redirecting, then perhaps the
frontend should remove the file rather than just closing it.

allan noah
fujitsu backend maintainer