[sane-devel] Hotplug and udev files created automatically now, please test!

Peter Christy christy at attglobal.net
Tue May 2 17:30:56 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 17:40, m. allan noah wrote:
> i am confused by this- first you say that you need sane to look under
> /sys or /dev for devices, then you say that you have to alter permissions
> to get it working. which is it?

udev mounts the usbscanner under /sys In my case, under /sys/bus/usb/ and then
a randomly variable point. However, given the relevant vendor and product
IDs, it will automatically create a symlink in /dev and set all the relevant
permissions.

So for example, I can make it produce a /dev/usbscanner symlink that will
always point to the scanner, wherever it may have appeared on
the /sys/bus/usb/ directory, and have the right permissions.

However, sane appears to be looking for the scanner
under /proc/bus/usb/whatever, which udev cannot easily (as far as I can see)
set the permissions. As in the /sys file system, it seems to be somewhat
random where it pops up, from one reboot to the next, although the location
does correspond to the location under /sys.

Even hotplug was incapable of setting the permissions automatically, because
although my scanner always appeared as /proc/bus/usb/002/002, hotplug
*always* tried to set the permissions for /proc/bus /usb/001/002! This was a
bug in hotplug that never got fixed! I bypassed it by adding

chown root:users /proc/bus/usb/002/002
chmod 0660 /proc/bus/usb/002/002

to my rc.local file. However, this only works if the scanner always appears
on /proc/bus/usb/002/002 Under udev alone, it doesn't. As often as not it
appears as  /proc/bus/usb/001/003 or even something else!

I need to find some way of making sane use /dev/usbscanner to access the
scanner rather than /proc/bus/usb/whatever. My understanding is that this is
a very old way of doing things that only works with kernel scanner modules.
Certainly my initial attempts in this area have met with total failure!

--
Pete
christy at attglobal.net