[sane-devel] GL646 genesys, 2300c head problem

Mark Hatton mark.hatton at trap-door.co.uk
Fri May 5 10:06:15 UTC 2006

Stéphane VOLTZ wrote:
> 	The scanning head may be going to far for at least 3 reasons:
> 	- the defined scan area for 2300 is too wide for your device
> 	- origin detection fails and there is an offset toward the "bottom" of the
> scanning area.
> 	- your model has an unkown motor, and command sent move the scanning head too
> far.

I too have the Scanjet 2300c and have seen this problem. The scans that
I get are not distorted in any noticeable way and I don't think that the
top of the scan is cut off (but I can't be sure).

> 	Last, which version of sane backends do you use?  Be sure to run at least
> version 1.0.17. CVS version has a couple of interesting fixes, so it may be
> worth to try it.

The latest version in CVS fixes another issue with the 2300c for me. The
stable version only lets you scan once and then the scanner can't be
accessed again unless it is powered off and on again. The version in the
CVS HEAD seems to solve that.

When accessing the scanner using XSane, the default settings make the
scanner head crash in to the end of the scan bed (giving the horrible
noise). However, if I lower the length of the scan area by as little as
2mm, the problem goes away and the scan head stops and returns properly.

I have looked for a way to change the value of the available scanning
area but I can't find it. If someone can tell me which file it is
defined in, I am happy to change it myself and give it a try.

Thanks,

Mark