[sane-devel] Negs Scanning Pure Red

Quantum Scientific Info at quantum-sci.com
Sat May 6 17:00:55 UTC 2006

Hello,

 Using the Microtek Scanmaker5 to scan 110 negatives in the transparency bay.

 I've found the Konica negative VX 100 color profile to give the richest colors, but on a set of Kodak negs, suddenly they are scanning almost all red.

 I notice that black blacks seem to scan as pure red, and do not understand why. This scanner is supposed to have a very good dynamic range for its age, and most of my other negs are scanning OK.  Playing with Gamma, Contrast and Brightness in the driver has no effect.  Trying different neg profiles only makes things worse.

Then I found the Bit Depth setting under Standard Options in XSane, and changed it from 8 to 12. I presume this is increasing dynamic range.

Now the majority of the image is visible, although dark areas look like bas-relief in red. There are still alot of pure red regions (255,0,0) though. Is there any way to recover these negs?

 Running Debian Linux, Gimp for photo editing, and XSane with the Microtek2 profile for scanning, and Sane 1.0.15.

 Can you advise?

Bill Southwell