[sane-devel] Hotplug and udev files created automatically now, please test!

Peter Christy christy at attglobal.net
Sun May 7 10:17:02 UTC 2006

On Thursday 04 May 2006 14:40, Wittawat Yamwong wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Try this:
>
> USB_DEVFS_PATH=/dev/bus/usb scanimage [...]
>
> The above line tells libusb to look at /dev/bus/usb first. Hope it helps.

Understood, but where is that line meant to go? udev.rules, or somewhere else?

> You should write the USBID as "4b8/11d/*". (No prepending '0') The
> environment variables PRODUCT, DEVICE etc. are defined in the kernel's USB
> core driver. (grep 'DEVICE=' [kernel]/drivers/usb/core/*) It is valid for
> kernel 2.6.13.

OK, that makes sense. I'm running kernel 2.6.16.5, but presumably that should
be the same. I'll give this a try...

> libusb 0.1.10a installed in SUSE Linux 10.0 looks at /proc/bus/usb first
> then /dev/bus/usb. Whether a newer version also works this way, I don't
> know. I think, it also depends on Linux distribution. Actually, the whole
> problem is not directly related to SANE. IMHO, distributors should be
> responsible for a working libusb.

I hear what you're saying, and believe that libusb (0.1.8 here) is working as
it should. The problem is actually the interaction between several elements
of the system, and you have to start somewhere ;-)

Its also partly my fault by trying a "cutting edge" solution in my system,
perhaps prematurely! However, I believe this is a problem that is
increasingly going to raise its ugly head, so it is an opportunity to find a
solution before the problem becomes mainstream!

I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread (even though I
don't have a working solution yet!) as it has given me an insight into some
of the inner workings of the system, and will hopefully prove useful to
others.

Now I'd better go and try some of the solutions that have been offered, and
see if I can crack this problem once and for all......

--
Pete
christy at attglobal.net