[sane-devel] xsane 0.991, sane 1.0.17 not working as root.

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sun May 7 17:35:35 UTC 2006

Hi,

On 2006-05-06 20:06, Abhay Kedia wrote:
> When I run xsane as root, it works without any problems but when running under
> normal user account, xsane hangs to acquire preview or scan. The user is
> included in scanner and usb group. Permissions on the relevant file
> in /proc/bus/usb/ is 0666.

If you don't use udev, this should work. If you use udev, the device
files are here: /dev/bus/usb/...

> I have read the document available in following link but it did not help
> http://www.sane-project.org/README.linux

So your distribution sets up the udev rules correctly? E.g. by using
the rules file that can be generated in sane-backends/tools/udev/ ?

Running scanimage with SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=255 may also help to find
the problem.