[sane-devel] LiDE 500F: how to go further?

Pierre Willenbrock pierre at pirsoft.dnsalias.org
Fri May 12 21:12:13 UTC 2006

Hi Ralph,

Ralph Sontag schrieb:
> first I want to thank for the help and the information.
>
> I put my data on
> http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~sontag/sane/
>
>> Please try the attached patch. It may already get scanimage past
>> initialization. If not, please also send a debug log without win98
>> initialisation.
>
> OK, first time after patching the scanner makes terrible noise ... :-)
> It clatters very much ...
> A scan does'nt start.
>
> After replug the scanner croons, bot does nothing.

Your scanner is 2400dpi x 4800dpi? Perhaps the attached patch is more
usable. It reduces the maximum speed of the head, and adjusts the
maximum y-resolution.

> I make some new logs, but where ends the win98-initalisation? See below ...

These scanners are pretty low-level. To do anything useful, you need to
setup the motor and ccd. This includes calibration. The calibration is
done only once in win98.

>> If you want to, i can send you some perl scripts and instructions on how
>> to use them. I don't understand all details of the protocol, so there
>> are some "unknown"s.
>
> I found some scripts under
> http://john.daltons.info/lide60/
>
> If you have some scripts for the LIDE500F, they are welcome.
> But the scripts from John Dalton produce also some usefull information.
>
> I've put the raw files and the analysis with these scripts to
> http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~sontag/sane/
> (actual the last for lines:
> usblog-xp/00index.html	analysed files from XP	500 k	8. 5. 2006
> usbsnoopxp.bz2	raw file from XP	770 k	8. 5. 2006
> usblog-w98/00index.html	analysed files from W98	450 k	8. 5. 2006
> usbsnoopw98.bz2	raw file from W98	2.1 M	8. 5. 2006
> )

These analyses seem to be not very useful. I see a lot of unknowns where
there should be register reads/writes. I put my scripts here:
http://pirsoft-dsl-dropzone.de

> How can I see, where the nessesary information starts? Then I can cut
> the parts before ...

There shouldn't be a lot of windows logs needed.

Regards,
  Pierre