[sane-devel] Benq 5300U not working with sane-backends-1.0.16

Warren Post warren at copaninvest.com
Sat May 13 22:36:44 UTC 2006

I need help getting a Benq 5300U working. Some may recall that I had
requested similar help on this list in March. An unexpected hard disk
failure took me offline and required an OS reinstall; my apologies to
Oliver Schwartz who was kindly helping me.

Now that I have a new distro (Mandriva 2006) and a different version of
sane-backends (1.0.16-5mdk) I have tried to get this scanner working on
my own but without success. Specifically, here is what I have done and
observed:

I have added the path to the firmware in /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf.
I am using firmware u254v042.bin per the snapscan page at
http://snapscan.sourceforge.net.

I have not added a device name to snapscan.conf, and in fact I can find
nothing in /dev that looks like a likely candidate: no /dev/usb,
no /dev/usbscanner, no /dev/scanner, etc.Using usbview, I see that
"FlatbedScanner 22" appears but in red, which indicates a device that
does not have a driver associated with it. Thus I suspect the problem
to be USB related. My other USB devices are working fine, however.

lsusb reports:
[root at gerencia warren]# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 021: ID 04a5:20fe Acer Peripherals Inc. (now BenQ Corp.)
SW2 5300U Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

sane-find-scanner reports:
[root at gerencia warren]# sane-find-scanner
[snip]
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a5 [Color], product=0x20fe
[ FlatbedScanner 22]) at libusb:001:021

The vendor and product IDs match lsusb as well as those given for my
scanner on the snapscan page. Notice that libusb is being used, not a
module, and I have confirmed that the scanner module is not loaded
("lsmod | grep scan" comes back empty).

I have ensured that /etc/sane.d/dll.conf contains the line "snapscan"
per the Sane FAQ at http://www.xs4all.nl/~ljm/SANE-faq.html#55.

The USB layer reports:
[root at gerencia warren]# export SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=255
[root at gerencia warren]# scanimage -T
[big snip]
[sanei_usb] sanei_usb_write_bulk: wanted 36494 bytes, wrote 36494 bytes
[sanei_usb] sanei_usb_read_bulk: trying to read 8 bytes
[sanei_usb] 0000: FB 00 00 00 00 00 00 00                         ................
[sanei_usb] sanei_usb_read_bulk: wanted 8 bytes, got 8 bytes
[sanei_usb] sanei_usb_write_bulk: trying to write 6 bytes
[sanei_usb] 0000: 00 00 00 00 00 00                               ................
USB error: error writing to bulk endpoint 2: Connection timed out
[sanei_usb] sanei_usb_write_bulk: write failed: Connection timed out
USB error: could not clear/halt ep 2: Connection timed out
[snapscan] usb_write Only 0 bytes written
[snapscan] test_unit_ready: snapscan_cmd command failed: Error during device I/O
[snapscan] wait_scanner_ready: hardware error detected.
[snapscan] sane_snapscan_open: wait_scanner_ready after firmware upload command failed: Error during device I/O
scanimage: open of device snapscan:libusb:001:021 failed: Error during device I/O

Oliver, you had mentioned back in March an interest in the full (compressed) log of a regular "scanimage" command sent to you by private email. If you are still interested let me know.

I have tried using two different USB cables, both known good.

Ideas, anyone?

TIA,
--
Warren Post