[sane-devel] Please Help with Epson Stylus CX-5800

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf at zpost.plala.or.jp
Mon May 15 11:53:30 UTC 2006

Hi Craig,

Cc:d sane-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org for the record.

Craig Setera <craigjunk at setera.org> writes:

> Olaf,
>
> Thanks for your response.  It appears that iscan does support this
> scanner.  Does iscan replace sane or does sane take advantage of
> iscan?  I'd like to get remote scanning going using winsane, so that
> is why I'd like to make sure I have full Sane support.

Hate to disappoint you, but the Avasys site gives me a

  This driver is currently not supported.
  It is scheduled for release though, so please check again in a
  couple of days.

for the scanner driver part.  I think you only got the printer driver.

As for iscan, it contains a SANE backend (epkowa, modified from the
regular epson backend) and a "SANE frontend" that only works with the
epkowa backend.  FYI, you can use it with the net backend as well but
only for devices supported by the epkowa backend.

You can use the epkowa backend with any SANE frontend.

Iff the CX-5800 will be supported by iscan, it will be through one of
those binary-only interpreter modules that only work on i386 systems.
The epkowa backend uses them if they are installed and your device
seems to need one.  If the appropriate interpreter for your device is
not installed, it will be treated as unsupported by the epkowa backend.

> Also, do you know of any reason that the Debian binaries would not
> install on my Ubuntu Dapper system?  If so, I can compile from source,
> but it would be nice to use the package if possible.

There are, to the best of my knowledge, no Debian packages for iscan.
That notwithstanding, I am not aware of any reason why the open source
part would not work on Debian.  Last time I checked (iscan-1.18.0), it
worked fine even with that libesmod BLOB on Debian testing.
# Just pulled down iscan-2.0.0 today.

# FTR, the main developer of iscan (hey, that's me!) does all his work
# hacking on Debian testing (and has of course full access to all the
# closed source bits for native compilation).  On the other side of
# the boundary, I do all my home hacking on Debian testing using the
# released source tarballs -> no access to closed sources.

Hope this helps,

--
Olaf Meeuwissen
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/