[sane-devel] UMAX Astra 1200S

Wolfram Heider wolframheider at web.de
Thu May 25 12:54:08 UTC 2006

On Thu, 25 May 2006 12:21:25 +0200, Get A. Long <g3t4l0ng at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was given an oldish UMAX Astra 1200S which according to the previous
> owner worked fine, but that he had lost any accompanying floppy disks. I
> tried to find drivers for my Windows machine with no luck. I also have a
> SUSE 10.1 installation on another machine  where I had hoped it might
> work, again depending on driver availability. A recent post on this list
> indicated that some people have had luck with their 1200S but other
> information indicate there are no drivers for 1200S available. Are there
> different versions of the 1200S, like USB, SCSI and Parallel Port, with
> different driver requirements?
>
> What are my chances of getting this scanner to work within a near
> future? (It is essentially my daughter who is anxious to know...)
>
> David

David,

the driver for the Umax 1200 S (the 'S' stands for SCSI) should already be
on your hd in a SuSE 10.1 Installation. You may check it with Yast -
Hardware - Scanner. If you don't get the list of drivers, you will have to
postinstall the SANE-package.
A more serious point is the scsi-controller (PCI-card). This one shipped
together with the scanner by Umax  probably won't work. You will need a
decent one from an independent manufacturer (AdvanSys, Dawicontrol or so -
not very cheap,. so googling around for an used one may spare some money).
The controller needs a seperate driver normally loaded by the kernel at
boot time.

As for Windows: XP supports the 1200 S directly with an own driver - try a
postinstallation with the hardware/device-manager. For the original
Vistascan-driver go to http://www.umax.com/support. It's not downloadable,
only available on CD-ROM.

--
Wolfram Heider